Monday 9 September 2013

Dani

You were never long for this world.
You weren't even supposed to stick around this long,
The boy with the blue face, breathing heavy,
Every day was a gift, and I often wondered if
Today would be the day you wouldn't wake up;
It finally happened.

And you know, there's no questions of fairness,
We always knew you were a miracle,
That you were living on a prayer in
Extra time.   Your sisters spoiled you well;
Forgive me for trying to teach instead of holding you,
For pulling away when you would run your fingers through
My beard.

Little prophet, why were you sent to us?
How were we ever worthy of your presence,
When clearly you were meant for another world?
I imagine you yelling amen at your passing,
With the fervor you would shout out at that signal
That it was time to start eating.
  
I should've carried you on my shoulders a few more times,
That English word that you knew better than all the others, 
"Shoulders" because it wasn't enough for you to just ride piggy back,
You wanted to see everything.
I imagine that Peter, showing you to the throne, will
Smile in dismay as you ask the Father for the same,
Reaching out your arms "que me cargas."
And the Father will spin you, free from the worry that you
Might pass out, and your heart will be a great treasure that
He will show off to all of his dinner guests.

My shoes seemed like battle tanks on your little feet;
Now you will never grow into them,
On the contrary, it is I who hope to grow into yours,
To live with your joy and tenderheartedness,  to learn
To cry when I fall,
To smile with my whole self,
To ask for a hug when I need one,
And to lift my hands to the sky
And let my Father carry me home.



En español (Traducción con Adriana Polanco):  

Nunca estabas aquí para largo
Siempre estabas como el chico milagro
El chico con cara azul, soplando
Cada día un regalo, cada día estabámos pensando
Que es posible que este seá tu último...
Al final, sucedió.

No hay preguntas sobre la justicia aquí
Siempre supimos que eras un milagro
Respirando por oraciones estos últimos años
Tus hermanas te consintieron bien,
Perdoname por intentar enseñarte en lugar de levantarte
En mis brazos, Perdoname por enojarme cuando
Tú pasaste tus dedos por mi barba.

Profecito, ¿por qué veniste a nosotros?
No merecíamos tu presencia,
Claro, pues tú estabas creado
Para un mundo más allá.
Imagino que saliste de la vida con tu grito de "Amen"
Que siempre significaba "ahora vamos a comer."

¡Debí cargarte sobre mis hombros, mil veces más!
Sobre mis "shoulders", palabra que recordaste mejor
que las otras en ingles, porque caballito no era
Suficiente para ti, tú querías ver todo el panorama,
Imagino que Pedro, mostrandote el trono va a
Sonreír con un poco de vergüenza cuando te acerques al Padre,
Y digas lo mismo, estrechando tus brazos al cielo y preguntando
¿Qué me cargas?
Y el Padre te dará vueltas, sin miedo a que te desmayes
Y tu corazón será un tesoro que Él va a mostrar a todos sus invitados

Mis zapatos parecían carros de combate sobre tus pies pequeñitos
Ahora tus pies no crecerán más.
Pero yo espero algun día, poder ser de tu tamaño
Quiero vivir con tu gozo y gracía, aprender
Llorar cuando me caigo,
Sonreír de todo corazón,
Pedir un abrazo cuando lo necesito
Y levantar mis brazos al cielo
Y dejar a mi Papá cargarme a casa.

No comments:

Post a Comment