Wednesday 6 October 2010

Grey Seasky Memories

There are about a hundred people in this poem.
I would never tell you all this, I never could it's too complicated.
Sometimes life's a beach
Or a blank drive-by screen.

Sky stretches underneath--poised--with--
dashes--and...ellipses...and boomerangs
of sand it's all one and the same smoother out
the skywave wetsand
It's not wonderful it's plain grayn
and overwhelming shlugs of
ambivalence yellowflower-seawheat
How to run so fast, Sandpiper friend,
on just one leg?
Cirrus flies left, puffy sheep stream south
simultaneously, passing trains on the city
overpass pirouette while the clams dig deep rhythm to the crab clap drums
in the roadside rumble bumps and watering pot-holes.
Is this that well-traveled drainage stream a thousand miles from me,
we speak of everything, we rest on the bike bridge, all my closest friends and me.
We build pyramids and castle drips, guards and walls, defy the waves.
My Sandpaper girl strides forward polygone, control resolute;
sorting the sand into powerlessnesswalls and bridgepains,
angersand flung splatterside to the passing wind and waves

"I can help you with that sail"
"No thanks"
Rusty nail in the phone conversation
Shooting myself in the foot,
In my mouth the waves are choking me clean;
Signs and fences in the sand, seaweedhead
"Don't you ever think it's time to tresspass?"
I wish more people would stumble into me like
crash a speedbump that they'd linger a second, slow down with me.
I'm twirled violently in the washingmachine waves
Sput up next photographer from Stockton taking pictures of a timely hourglass
and her pretty friend, I might be back, I just want a friend,
don't ignore me please, walk away Brigantine.

Running twilight stretches mirrorsky sand the grey'slost windsweep
The stars and streetlights beneath my flee-fleet feet memoryflit
flutterby scuttleby crabs running before me scattering the room doorslam
trying to outrun the Garden State and all it means, but still more, me.
Can I crash ashore to a t-shirt and tea? Another fenceline in the chest.
The grey gleam nifelifelite cutting into peaces the box-sand/snowglobes of sandwalks past
where ice looks neatserene I bleed birthward in the breeze this is OBX
below freezing, flirting with waves we're in Jax on the pier waiting for the Future
to tidal wave towards as you pass security tide red glows green "good-bye" nightscreen
we dance and we're out at piersedge pacific
(-ing our dreams with breakup morphine) busy signal
I'm kissing in drainage tunnels, (dead bodies)
I'm sleeping with strangers on buses at night,
(or dear friends in emergency rooms)
I'm carrying easychair slim silhouette
Static morningfog Ensenada praying on punkrocks
you show me your pictures and cream skin smile
beneath black bangs and bikini
Em wants to experience everything
past the breaking wave running up
sandcliffs your stride so long I start to run to blur everything we're on
the concrete arms outstretched, cup poised on head,
worldwar artillery bunkers in Pensacola/Klaipeda father/brother sisterme, don't kill yourself,
those rocks are so big--I'll help you over you'll pose between ferry gates--they'll
cut your feet, O'side bonfire, mercy I'll pray over you,
eye runaway you're on that big sloped wall looking out to sea your hair tossed sailaway in the
southbound train breeze towel turban covered Moscow cobblestone beach
the bridges the blonde bob tapping out fingertip dreams...
I'm throwing mud at you flirting, but you hardly notice me, we're talking
about the demons you see while Mikey and Justy jump off of things, you're talking
about living in sunsets and I'm spinning
and singing Existence again ten year stream sing, it's the way I know how to pray this
painmemory away into the skysea
sing poseidony God (clammit) swallow me in
crashing curls forget me and the melodybreeze let me
lose sandbreeze[me]skysea.

My whole life crumbling saltine eyeward and sea.
I'm back breathing, digging toes deep, alone in the greys at Brigantine.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent, it felt like very specific broad brush strokes.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete