Sunday 12 February 2017

The First Heaven: Oklahoma Storm

The peace opens when the winds
Section drones down to a dull moan
The thunder clap applause rumbles off
Like a freight train
The eye, eyes up, run outside
When-the-alarms-go-off Oklahoma
Feel the West, the weight, the
Breeze of the Rockies, heat of the plains
Lift up your sails
We will build sailboats of popsicle prayer
Sticks with a cross on top
Hoping that You'll take us up
Walking around in this cielo
The first heaven
This wholly ground
Beneath our kicks
Caught up in the rapture, the great
In between
The virga score stretched across
Horizontal lines the tracks
The moan
The hop-a-train temptation let's see
Where we go
We're all the fall leaves
Newspapers flopping around the Metro
Faded headlines dimly calling for
Attentions affections
The silence
Are you not interested in me?
See you not my
Grand humanity?
Or am I past my date of issue?
I fear it
I may fall in love or judge
Or find empathy
I'm a head-on-the-shoulder but also
A shoulder-to-the-plow
Shoulder of the road passing by
No place to rest a( )head
Chasing
While the storm breathes passion
And barometric pressure
Did we forget it?
Numbing games, numbing jobs
Numbing drugs, numbing loves
Nothing as sweet as the rain on the skin
The dancing lights reflecting on
Slick streets and windshields
It makes my heart pirouette inside me.

No comments:

Post a Comment