Sunday 22 January 2017

Lines

I seem to have forgotten my lines...
Walk with me parallel a while
Pickup perhaps then I'll remember
I have no steady, no gyroscope to keep me up
At night the sleepcycle rides
     circles under my eyes

I haven't decided how to draw us
All of us--everyone we meet--
Intersect at certain points,
Moments of meaning
Millions of points where we touch, hold hands
Share a song, kiss, secret, or glance
Sometimes we run parallel for a time
Walking a bold line through space time
As everything spins we manage to keep step

But it's all temporary
Our made-in-China shoes scuff the graph
     paper as we approach infinity
And what nonsense is that
A closeness, a net?, a communion, or an empty
     space, a universal alone eternity?
I scribble along fast like a polygraph lie as I, trying
     not to forget to breathe
Trying not to veer wildly like my chestbeat
     and double back, cross myself,
My God I've been here before
I was hoping we could tie the knot
But the telephone line was not long enough
You ride along another axis now,
Existing, loving, singing, unseen

I always dreamed of your trajectory
Plotting it out, stoking you to dream
Your truck spiraled out
A flat line, an ellipsis
Of rocks in the desert, memorial gardens

I take pictures
Make five-year plans
See lines in everything:
Handprints, walls, sunsets, trees
Each barcode a stanza,
Every vine and weed draws shapes
And you and me

We part here, branching out like
     family trees approaching infinity
And although like particles we may
     collide, we will never occupy the same
     space and time
At best our lines run tangent
But not yet, I reach
You're out of reach
You're gone
And I'm still writing on writing on moving out past the sea
Living, yes, writing reading speaking moving always moving


No comments:

Post a Comment