Sunday 25 January 2015

The Truth



Truth is the highest virtue...
If you understand that you'll understand.
It's why makeup is evil.
It's why I never iron my shirts.
It's why if I say "how are you?"  and
You lie, you've transgressed.
It's why sad movies are often better than
Happy endings...but not always...

I know, I know, you want to say
"Love" is higher, but you can't have love
Without truth.  I mean, you can have
Storybook love, self-love, or even selfless acts,
But true love loves in spite of the knowledge of the
Other's failings.  Storybook love is paper-doll role-playing.
Finding supporting characters.  Not divine union.

Some say we can't handle it.
Protect and patronize,
They tell us to go about our lives and keep our cool:
It's good for the economy, after all.
Of course, they could handle the truth if they only knew.
But lies lead to lies and expectations of lies. 
Myths that give people power can't be eroded,
Of course, power is just air, expectations, people.
And that's the truth.

The real will win out
When the reels wind down.

No comments:

Post a Comment