Sunday 21 December 2014

Keep the Christ in Christmas



*THIS POEM CONTAINS ADULT LANGUAGE*  
(because that's what the scene would sound like)

Tom Leonard has this poem where the thief on the cross talks about missing the game. 
Rob Bell talks about hearing the breath of God even in the voices of people who don't believe. 
Christians say "keep the Christ in Christmas." I don't like it.
So I imagine you might hear these things at a homeless shelter.  Maybe a manger is a 1st Century homeless shelter.  Maybe the church is a homeless shelter.


Keep the Christ in Christmas

"Jesus, it's cold."
"Christ, you gonna bring me some cookies or you just gonna sit there preaching all night?"
"God, where do these hypocrites get off?"
"Son, I appreciate you trying but you have no idea what I've been through to get here."

"Jesus, what the fuck, Joe, you're wasted."
"Christ, did you see the look on their faces!"
"OH MY GOD, did you see the new dress Mary was wearing on the Ave?"
"Son-of-a-bitch took my cookies!"

"Jesus fuckin Christ, I ain't waiting around here with these fools I'm going to get me a loosey."
"Christ, you see those legs?  I like that.  Baby, you can take me to church anyday woo!"
"God told me I got I got I got a bright future, this is my fourth time, this time I'm really gonna quit."
"My SON, I just want to call MY SON  for five minutes!"

"Jesus, it's cold."
"Christ, you think they would've been able to find some fuckin space for  a chick who's pregnant."
"God, it hurts."
"Son-of-a-bitch!  Baby's comin."

No comments:

Post a Comment