Sunday 14 December 2014

Advent


There were no four hundred years of silence.
I don't think the birds were singing their songs any differently,
And 82-year-old prophetesses don't become prophetesses
Without receiving a word.
I'm afraid I'm out of Magnificats,
I'm not surprised when you speak.
I already prayed that you wouldn't--
You came anyway,
And I'm so glad you did.

Laying out evidences alongside
Some caramel chocolate pies.
Beauty, conviction, and Pascal's dice.
You're asking me if I really believe through a "what if"
What you're really asking is, what if I could
Do whatever I wanted.
And you're saying you don't see a thing.

Wise men seeing stars
Black holes and revelations
Two sides of the same spiral galaxy
Evolutions and big bangs non sequitor into
Absolute statements on existence or non-existence
YHWH breathing sounds/"there is no God"
Light and dark playing in your deep eyes
And a wince.

We are either conjurers and quacks
Or enlightened hacks
Or paranoid kings slaughtering babies
And possibilities.

You decided to speak through an infant's cry?
And Thomas got to poke a finger in your side
You've been showing up all my life.
A God that doesn't hide.

So what's with the night?
What's the word? 
How long must I wait? 

I don't need another miracle today
But I think my friends might. 

No comments:

Post a Comment