Sunday 18 August 2013

Happy Birthday to Kate

I remember on your first day,
You couldn't wait to have your birthday,
You made a mess all over the car,
And Daddy caught you in his arms.
I was excited cuz we got to have an unplanned sleepover.

I remember how you used to hold our hens
And when we elected a supreme chancellor
I remember how much Hannah Montana
You watched in Arizona.

I remember hanging out after your ballet in Carlsbad,
And thinking "as boring as this waiting is,
I have a pretty swell sister."

I remember how you were scared to go on the Xcelerator
And Ghostrider, I remember how you
Convinced me to dive into this tiny little cleft between the rocks
And photo walks, bike rides to Kretinga, In N Out
Suspended seven Hundred feet in the air.

I remember on Christmas day
You sang Aladdin through your nose
A "whole new world" the song goes
And that's the place that you are now.

Serving, growing, ebbing, flowing,
Calmly spastic, quiet and firm.
I remember how you showed me that
Two can be better than one, and I love how
You live things like community and friendship and prayer,
That I always seem to lose cuz I run,
But you walk a baseline, steady and slow
With wide-open eyes and an occasional shrug,
An occasional poke and a timely hug.

So vaya con Dios, сестра моя,
Another year's here, another year's gone.
The plans that He has are constant and true,
Look out for Dia, pray for me to,
All manner of things will be Good in His time,
But as far as sisters go, you're already just right

No comments:

Post a Comment