Tuesday 23 August 2011

Trust

A woman I was considering marrying
(by which I mean, I was going to ask her out to coffee when appropriate)
Made a comment that my love for children made me sound
Like a child molester. I don't think I've forgiven her,
And muttered something about Alyosha Karamazov,
that what I loved about the young is that they are honest,
They don't know how to pretend,
And they are ready and willing to try new things and have fun.
They are willing to trust.
Anyone who is around children knows it's not dreamlike,
Not easy, not birds and butterflies,
Kids. It's more like spit-up and tantrums,
hide and seek, and you can be yourself
Because everyone else is already being themselves.
She felt guilty and awkward and glanced away,
I was still talking.
(by which I mean, I was trying to tell her that what she said hurt)

No comments:

Post a Comment